Thursday, July 5, 2007

Do you want fries with your story?

In addition to my internship, I recently started working a summer job (and from the title of this post, you can probably guess the industry). At the ripe, old age of almost 21, it's actually my first fast-food job, not to mention the first job in which I've had to wear a uniform. In fact, whenever my sister sees me in my work attire, she keeps saying that it looks like I've gained 50 pounds. I think she's exaggerating (maybe at least 20 pounds would be more accurate)?

Anyways, so far, the job isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I've met people and chit-chatted with some of them when business is slow or when we're on break. I'm getting better at taking people's orders and figuring out what to type into the register (deciphering all those acronyms that stand for a certain item off the menu), but I definitely need to perfect my ability to fill an ice cream cone- without making a mess.

I usually don't eat at fast food restaurants, but lately, I've started craving burgers. In fact, when I got off work on Sunday and went to Applebee's with some friends for dinner, I did end up ordering a burger (the Aloha Burger, to be exact). At work, we're allowed to have a free meal during a lunch break or when our shift is over, and I'm going to try to stick to the healthier fare instead. At home, though, I try to memorize things off the menu (to help me when I'm at the register) and have started to pick up on how much certain items costs. Yes, no matter what, I have burgers on the brain.

2 comments:

Mr. Smirthwaite said...

No fries but I would like a cookie. Good luck. 1,000 years ago I was a journalism major. Remember when journalists used to investigate the news rather than print what the White House said? I'm sure you get that all the time. Enjoy yourself and do what you know to be true.

Citizen College Intern said...

Well, the cookies are fairly popular at my work. ;) Anyways, I get different reactions from people when I say that I'm a journalism major, and sometimes they can be discouraging. However, so far, I've stuck with this major. Did you end up with a career related to your major? Thanks for the comment!